1. Get up to date on routine immunizations
2. Country specific Vaccine Recommendations
3. Ensure enough chronic meds have been given / picked up. Have an emergency plan in place if meds are lost
1. Travelers Diarrhea - Take Pepto Bismol 2 tabs QID for duration of trip to prevent, 2. Immodium OK in slowing down if no hematochezia/fever. 3. Antibiotic Rx - Cipro 500mg PO q12 x2 doses. or Azitromycin 500mg PO q24 1-3 doses (esp in SE Asia).
2. Malaria Prevention -
General Recommendations: DEET, Permethrin clothing, A/C in buidings, Mosquito Net for sleep.
3.Altitude Sickness - Acetazolamide 125mg POD Bid x3 days, start 1 day prior to ascent.
4. HIV Endemic Area - consider HIV PPx if working in a high-risk setting. tenofovir/emtricitabine (Truvada; 300 mg/200 mg) plus one tablet twice per day of raltegravir (Isentress; 400 mg).
5. Zika - don't get it.